You will learn how to manage when a baby or young child becomes unconscious or stops breathing, gets burned, is choking, bleeding heavily, has an asthma attack, or suffers from an allergic reaction.
Tutor: Agnes Munday
For dates, times, location and more information about the next course call Friends Centre on 01273 810210 or email [email protected]
This course aims to:
Give you the confidence, techniques and skills to deal with emergencies, and manage a range of conditions affecting babies or young children. It will also help you understand how some accidents can be prevented.
Who this course is for?
- Parents, grandparents, carers, volunteers working with children, anyone with younger babies or young children in their family.
- You might also want to attend the course if you are preparing for working with babies or young children,
or if you are involved with local community groups, community nurseries, or children’s sports clubs.
What will I be able to do by the end of the course?
Know what to do in an emergency situation, including when a baby or child:
- Becomes unconscious or stops breathing
- Gets burned
- Is choking
- Bleeding heavily
- Has an asthma attack, or suffers from an anaphylactic shock
- Has signs of meningitis
- Fits with febrile convulsion
- Goes into shock
Do I need to bring anything to the course?
- Pen and pad if you would like to make some notes
- Please dress comfortably for the practical parts of the session
- Let the tutor know if you are allergic to rubber or latex
How will I know how I’m doing on the course?
The tutor will explain the aims and outcomes at the beginning of the session and provide opportunities for you to review your learning, and take part in practical demonstrations. There will be lots of opportunities to ask questions and take part in discussions. Your learning will be reviewed at the end of the session.
Are there any other websites or books that can help me?
- https://padlet.com/agnesmunday/firstaid is the website created by the tutor for learners on the course
- There’s also a useful subsidised paediatric first aid booklet available at the end of the course, it costs £2. Please bring the correct money to the course as the tutor does not always carry change.
Can I download any useful apps to my Smartphone or tablet? Yes, you may find the following apps useful:
Baby and Child First Aid by British Red Cross
St John Ambulance First Aid App
Who is the tutor?
Agnes Munday has been running these very popular courses for several years. The feedback on her sessions is always positive, and people appreciate the energy, enthusiasm, fun and passion she brings to the sessions.
Agnes has a BA Hons in Education, a PGCE in post 16 Education, a Paediatric and Adult First Aid trainer diploma. Agnes is a Registered Public Health Practitioner, works in Health Promotion and Training and has twenty years’ experience of designing and delivering for a wide range of organisations.
You can also speak to our Information, Advice and Guidance Officer (Eileen) who can help you with:
- Impartial guidance to help you make the right choices
- Advice on volunteering and training
- Initial assessment for English and maths
For dates, times, location and more information about the next community learning courses call us on 01273 810210 or email [email protected]
Learning across the city
You can also find online links to all our adult learning partners across the city by visiting: