This one day course will help you to respond to an emergency situation. You will learn how to deal with unconsciousness, bleeding, chocking, shock, seizures, provide CPR, and recognise signs of heart attack and stroke.
Tutor: Agnes Munday
For dates, times, location and more information about the next course call Friends Centre on 01273 810210 or email [email protected]
This course aims to:
Give you the confidence, techniques and skills to deal with emergencies, and manage a range of conditions in an emergency situation
Who this course is for?
- If you want to have experience for a real life emergency
- If you want to be able to help family, friends or neighbours in an emergency
- Are involved with local a community group, faith group or sports club
- You might also want to attend the course if you are preparing for volunteering or work
What will the course cover?
- dealing with an emergency
- unresponsive – breathing
- unresponsive – not breathing (cardiopulmonary resuscitation – CPR)
- bleeding heavily
- head injury
- heart attack
- allergic reaction
- diabetic emergency.
Do I need to bring anything to the course?
- Pen and pad if you would like to make some notes
- Please dress comfortably for the practical parts of the session
- Let the tutor know if you are allergic to rubber or latex
How will I know how I’m doing on the course?
The tutor will explain the aims and outcomes at the beginning of the session and provide opportunities for you to review your learning, and take part in practical demonstrations. There will be lots of opportunities to ask questions and take part in discussions. Your learning will be reviewed at the end of the session
Are there any other websites or books that can help me?
- https://padlet.com/agnesmunday/adultfirstaid is the website the tutor has created as a resource for learners on the course
- The tutor will also sell our subsidised first aid booklet at the end of the course, it costs £2.
Please bring the correct money to the course as the tutor doesn’t carry change.
Can I download any useful apps to my Smartphone or tablet? Yes, you may find the following apps useful:
Red Cross First Aid App.
St John First Aid App.
Who is the tutor?
Agnes Munday has been running these very popular courses for several years. The feedback on her sessions is always positive, and people appreciate the energy, enthusiasm, fun and passion she brings to the sessions.
Agnes has a BA Hons in Education, a PGCE in post 16 Education, a Paediatric and Adult First Aid trainer Diploma. Agnes also works in Public Health and has twenty years’ experience of designing and delivering for a wide range of organisations.
She is a registered Public Health Practitioner (UKPHR).
You can also speak to our Information, Advice and Guidance Officer (Eileen) who can help you with:
- Impartial guidance to help you make the right choices
- Advice on volunteering and training
- Initial assessment for English and maths
For dates, times, location and more information about the next community learning courses call us on 01273 810210 or email [email protected]
Learning across the city
You can also find online links to all our adult learning partners across the city by visiting: http://www.bh-adultlearning.org.uk/adult-learning/adult-learning-group-members/