Concessions on Non-Accredited courses – General Adult Education Courses

For a number of our leisure courses we offer a 40% reduction on the full fee to people who are in receipt of one or more of the following benefits, or are the unwaged dependant of someone receiving these benefits:


Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)

Employment & Support Allowance (ESA)

National Insurance Credits

Universal Credit

Carers Allowance

Child Tax Credit

Working Tax Credit

Income Support

Pension Credit Guarantee

Disability Living Allowance

Housing or Council Tax Benefit

The concessionary fee, where available, is shown after the full course fee in the brochure or is listed on the website as the concessionary price.


Documentation required for enrolment


We must see identification for all our learners. This can be in the form of a bank credit/debit card or National Insurance Card, but for residents from outside the UK you will need to bring your passport or national ID card if you are from the European Economic Area (EEA). Residents from outside the EEA will need to bring their passport, Home Office papers and any other relevant documentation in order for us to conduct a fees assessment.

If you are eligible for a concessionary of fully funded fee we require proof of benefit before the concession can be given and this needs to be dated within three months of the course start date. If the benefit you receive is Housing or Council Tax benefit, then we will need to see the letter you received at the start of the financial year, and a current bank statement showing the payment. This means that concessionary rates are not available when booking online. You can bring proof of benefits into Brighton Junction reception or email them to [email protected]. See below for full details, or call reception on 01273 810210.

If you are a dependant, please also attach proof that you live at the same address as the benefit claimant (e.g. joint bank statement or utility bill). We regret that no concessions can be given without proof of eligibility.
The fee listed for our courses includes the tuition, resources and exam fees where appropriate. The majority of our courses are funded by the Skills Funding Agency, and this in turn may be used for match funding with the ESF (European Social Fund). Therefore your course may be part funded by the ESF as well as the Skills Funding Agency.


  • You must also have lived in the European Economic Area (EEA) for 3 years as an ordinary resident.
  • You will be asked to fill out an enrolment form to evidence this for the Skills Funding Agency.


Benefit Proof


Job Seekers Allowance (JSA), Universal Credit, Income Support, Employment & Support Allowance (ESA), Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit.

This letter MUST be dated within 3 months of the course start date. I.E. If your course starts on 30/09/2016 then your letter must be dated or more recent than 30/06/2016 AND clarify that the amount of benefit being received is more than £0.00. We generally advise visiting the relevant benefit administration office and asking for a dated letter stating that you are currently receiving the benefit at present.

For all other concessionary benefits listed above this evidence can be a statement for the current annual tax year i.e. April 2016-2017 provided with a recent bank statement dated within 3 months of the course start date showing the relevant benefit arriving in the account. For non-accredited courses, we can accept just the bank statement without the letter as long as the bank statement is your most recent.

All concessionary evidence must be in the name of the person attending the course. We regret that no concessions can be given without proof of eligibility. This must be provided at the time of booking.

If you feel that you really can’t afford the course fees and are not entitled to a concession then you can apply to our Linda Kinsella Bursary Fund, details of this can be found in our brochure or ask a member of the reception team for advice on how to apply.

Share this page: