City & Guilds and NCFE / CACHE Qualification-based courses

accredited logos

ESF logo


For some of our courses that lead to a qualification there are three course fees listed in our brochure.  These are for fully funded learners (A), co-funded learners (B) and non-funded learners (C). The price you pay will depend on your residency status, age, employment status and any benefits you receive.

These three levels of fees do not apply to City & Guilds Level 2 Pattern Cutting courses where there is only one fee option.  This is due to funding rules which we have to abide by.

Your eligibility for funding will be assessed at the interview stage. You may also be required to attend an additional interview with an Information, Advice and Guidance (IAG) advisor before enrolling on these courses.


(A) Fully Funded Learners

You will be eligible to pay the £10 fee for an accredited course if any of the following apply to you:

  • You receive Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), including those receiving National Insurance credits only
  • You receive Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • You receive Universal Credit and your earned income from employment (disregarding benefits) is less than £338 a month (sole claimant) or £541 a month (joint claimant with partner)
  • You are employed, or self-employed, and eligible for co-funding provision and earn less than £16,009.50 annual gross salary.

At Friends Centre’s (or our funders’) discretion we may also fully fund the course if the following two statements apply to you:

  • You receive other state benefits and your earned income (disregarding benefits) is less than £338 a month (sole claimant) or £541 a month (joint claimant with partner)
  • You would like to be employed or progress into more sustainable employment and we are satisfied that your chosen course is directly relevant to your employment prospects and the local labour market needs.

A payment of £10 is charged for administration.


(B) Co-Funded Learners

You will be eligible to pay the co-funded fee for an accredited course if any of the following apply to you:

  • You are employed (part-time, full-time or self-employed), and earn more than £16,009.50 per year
  • You are unemployed and not looking for work
  • You are unemployed and not willing or able to work


(C) Non-Funded Learners

If you have not lived in the European Economic Area (EEA) for the last 3 years then you will not be eligible for funding and will have to pay the non-funded learner fee.



We will give priority to learners currently on a level 1 course who wish to progress to level 2.

If you have previously been funded by Friends Centre to attend one of our level 1 courses we may not be able to fully fund another place on a level 1 course for you.  This also applies if you have been previously fully funded to attend a level 2 course and wish to attend another level 2 course.



Documentation required for enrolment

We must see identification for all our learners. This can be in the form of a bank credit/debit card, driving license, birth certificate or passport. Residents from the European Economic Area (EEA) will need to bring their passport or national ID card. Residents from outside the EEA will need to bring their passport, Home Office papers and any other relevant documentation in order for us to conduct a fees assessment.

If you are eligible for a concessionary fee we require proof of benefit before the concession can be given and this needs to be dated within three months of the course start date. If the benefit you receive is Housing or Council Tax benefit, then we will need to see the letter you received at the start of the financial year, and a current bank statement showing the payment.

If you are a dependant, please also attach proof that you live at the same address as the benefit claimant (e.g. joint bank statement or utility bill). We regret that no concessions can be given without proof of eligibility.


The fee listed for our courses includes the tuition, resources and exam fees where appropriate. The majority of our courses are funded by the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), and this in turn may be used for match funding with the European Social Fund (ESF). Therefore your course may be part funded by the ESF as well as the ESFA.

Share this page: