SEWING WITH STRETCH COURSE INFORMATION
This sewing course in Brighton will teach you how to sew with stretch fabric and then test out your skills and make a dress
On this sewing course, we will cover how to make seams and hems on stretch fabric, choosing and using suitable stitches on a regular sewing machine. We will also discuss the best sewing machine needles to use, and tips on how to cut stretch fabric.
We will be following the Kielo Wrap Dress pattern by Named Clothing. For this sewing course, you will need to bring your own fabric.
Suitable for those who have used a sewing machine before and can confidently thread up and change basic settings.
The cost includes the dress pattern to take home.
Scroll down for further course details or for more information on our other sewing and fashion courses in Brighton, head to our courses page via the main menu.
COURSE TUTOR: Laura O’Sullivan
DURATION: 1 Day
Autumn: 6 October 2018
WHERE: Brighton Junction
COURSE FEE: £60 / £40 / £15
Please see further information on fees and concessions online or in our brochure.
This course aims to:
Teach how to sew with stretch fabric and then test out your skills and make a dress. We will cover how to make seams and hems on stretch fabric, choosing and using suitable stitches on a regular sewing machine. We will also discuss the best sewing machine needles to use and tips on how to cut stretch fabric.
We will be following the Kielo Wrap Dress by Named Clothing. For this sewing course, you will need to bring your own fabric. The dress is a simple maxi dress (long length) with an interesting shape, sleeveless with a round neckline and ties that wrap-over to close at waist, slim skirt and a vent at back. It can be shortened to suit, plus sleeves can be added on for any length – short, ¾ or long sleeves.
Please note – this is not an overlocker course.
Who this course is for?
Suitable for those who have used a sewing machine before and can confidently thread up and change basic settings. We won’t be using an overlocker on this course.
What will I be able to do by the end of this course?
- Use a regular sewing machine to sew seams in knit fabric
- Learn three ways to hem a garment made from knit fabric (twin needle, zig-zag, hand stitch)
- Recognise different types of knitted fabrics and identify the right and wrong side of these
- Choose and use the right needle type for sewing with stretch fabrics
- Take basic body measurements and choose your pattern size
- Identify grainline and selvedge of knitted fabric
- Arrange pattern pieces on your fabric correctly for cutting, taking note of the direction of stretch
- Accurately cut out knit fabric.Ideas for your Kielo Wrap DressSearch #kielowrapdress on instagram for more ideas!
What materials will I need for the course?
- Fabric for garment – see notes and table below
- Matching thread for your garment (we have some threads available to buy)
- Basic sewing kit – paper and fabric scissors, pins, quick unpick tool (you can borrow these to use on the day if you would prefer)
- Pen / pencil to take notesFriends Centre will provide the Kielo dress pattern and we have a fully equipped sewing room with sewing machines and any other equipment that you might need.Fabric required:
- Garments Finished Measurements
- if you’re planning to add sleeves then more fabric will be required. If you’re doing a knee-length version then less fabric will be required. If you choose a fabric with stripes, plaids or a one-way print (e.g. flowers that grow up) then you will need slightly more fabric to allow for this. Also required is 120cm fusible knit interfacing for the ties.
- The exact amount required depends on your measurements. The pattern comes in sizes ranging from 77cm-104cm bust. Measure your bust and see below table – this is for a sleeveless dress.
- Knit fabric can shrink slightly when first washed so please machine or hand wash your fabric before the class and lay flat to dry to avoid stretching out of shape.
- The best fabric for the Kielo wrap dress is lightweight fabric with plenty of drape and elastane content of 3% or more E.g. fine jersey, chiffon with elastane.
|Length (cb neck to hem)||146.5 cm||146.5 cm||146.5 cm||146.5 cm||146.5 cm||146.5 cm||146.5 cm||146.5 cm|
|if width of fabric you’ve chosen is 150cm||1.8m||1.8m||1.8m||1.9m||2.05m||2.25m||2.3m||2.4m|
|if width of fabric you’ve chosen is 115cm||2.2m||2.3m||2.45m||2.6m||2.75m||2.85m||2.95m||–|
Don’t forget to buy more for sleeves or directional prints
Roughly how much will they cost?
Fabric costs from £3 per metre and students will require 1.2 – 2.6m dependent on garment and size.
Simple sewing kit can be from £1 depending on shop/quality of items
Ditto Fabrics Kensington Gardens Brighton
C&H Fabrics Western Rd, Brighton
Fabric Godmother – online store at www.fabricgodmother.co.uk
How will I know I am making progress?
Discussion with the tutor throughout the day and self-assessment.
Is there any extra study outside the class?
This day is designed to teach you how to sew with knits and make the dress pattern but you may need to finish the final stages of the garment at home.
Who is the course tutor?
Laura O’Sullivan came to Brighton many years ago to study 3D design degree. She has since become (amongst other things) a jeweller, project manager, photographer, teacher and parent. She is a keen dressmaker who also runs Hove Sewing Group and is looking forward to introducing students to the delights of sewing with stretch fabric and making comfortable and stylish clothes!
Further dressmaking courses – at Friends Centre
Dressmaking for Beginners and Improvers – Fridays 10am-12.30pm OR 1-3.30pm
Dressmaking for Beginners and Improvers – Thursdays 6.30-9pm
City & Guilds Certificate in Fashion & Dressmaking Level 1 or 2
Saturday 6 October 2018
10:00 am to 4:00 pm
Full price: £60
Concession rate (if available): £40
Please note that concessions are not available online.
Click here for information on fees and concessions.
Book online or more information: Click here for more information or to book online (if available)