Join this short wellbeing course for parents in Brighton & Hove.
Explore how the relationship with your partner changes when you have a baby or child and learn ways of improving your connection to your partner. Discover techniques to help you communicate effectively even when you are feeling stressed and exhausted. This course will provide an opportunity to explore the issues and unmet needs behind most arguments and deepen your understanding and appreciation of your partner, in a supportive environment.
Suitable for couples expecting a baby and parents of babies and young children, you can attend with your partner or without.
Scroll down for further course details or for more information on our personal development or Family Learning courses in Brighton, head to our courses page via the main menu.
COURSE TUTOR: Agnes Munday
DURATION: 2 sessions
WHEN: 21 and 28 November
WHERE: Vallance Centre
COURSE FEE: £20 / £15 / FREE
To be offered a free place you need to be:
- 19 or older
- Living in the EEA for at least 3 years
- Living in the Brighton and Hove area
AND be unemployed (or working less than 16 hours) or on a low income (less than £13,500 for a single income or less than £18,000 for a combined household income)
- Or have no qualifications (no Level 2 or above qualification)
- Or you volunteer and are unemployed
Please note that this course cannot be booked online.
Please see further information on fees and concessions online or in our brochure.
This course aims to:
Happier Together is a research-based course to help you strengthen your relationship to stand up to the challenges of parenting.
Even the best relationships are strained during the transition from couple to parents. Lack of sleep, conflicting views about child rearing, never-ending housework and new financial strains can lead to profound stress and a marked decline in relationship satisfaction, experienced by nearly 70% of new parents.
The strategies shared during the workshops will help you cope constructively with the many changes brought about by the birth of your child/ren, hopefully making this transition easier. You will come home with ideas and approaches that have helped many couples strengthen their relationship.
The course will help you recognise and cope with the stressors linked to becoming a family. In particular, you will develop some new skills that will help you support each other, your relationship and your mental health, and decrease relationship conflict and hostility.
Who this course is for?
- For pregnant or new parents
- For parents of babies/toddlers
- This course is father and same-sex couple inclusive
- Please note – you are welcome to bring your baby with you (pre-crawling stage)
What will I be able to do by the end of this course?
- Demonstrate how to manage conflict in a constructive way
- Give examples of how and where where to get support from if you think you or your partner is struggling
- Give examples of how to communicate with your partner when you are feeling stressed and/or exhausted
- Have a deeper understanding of how a couple’s sexual relationship changes when you have a baby/child and ways of improving your intimate connection to your partner
What materials will I need for the course?
- Pen and pad if you would like to make some notes
- Snacks and whatever you and your baby will need to be comfortable during the sessions
How will I know how I’m doing on the course?
The tutor will explain the aims and outcomes at the beginning of the sessions and provide opportunities for you to review your learning. There will be opportunities to ask questions and take part in discussions. You will be encouraged to further discuss the material and practice the skills at home between sessions and after the course is finished. Resources will be provided to enable this.
Are there any other websites or books that can help me?
You will receive your own copy of the Happier Together workbook and be given access to the Happier Together Padlet.
Can I download any useful apps to my Smartphone or tablet?
The tutor will share a range of relevant apps
Who is the course tutor?
Agnes Munday has been running these very popular courses for several years. The feedback on her sessions is always positive, and people appreciate the energy, enthusiasm, fun and passion she brings to the sessions.
Agnes has a BA Hons in Education, a PGCE in post 16 Education, and a Paediatric First Aid trainer diploma.
Agnes also works in Public Health and has twenty years’ experience of designing and delivering for a wide range of organisations.
What next, after the course?
You can also speak to the Information, Advice and Guidance officer at Friends Centre who can help you with:
- Information on other courses and services
- Impartial guidance to help you make the right choices
- Advice on volunteering and training
- Initial assessment for English and Maths
Thursday 21 November 2019 - Thursday 28 November 2019
6:00 pm to 8:00 pm
Full price: £20
Concession rate (if available): FREE
Please note that concessions are not available online.
Click here for information on fees and concessions.
Vallance Community Centre
Book online or more information: Click here for more information or to book online (if available)