Learn how to respond if a baby or young child becomes unconscious or stops breathing, gets burned, is choking, bleeding heavily, has an asthma attack, or suffers from an allergic reaction. This half day workshop is perfect for parents, grandparents or carers of babies or children up to the age of 10.
Scroll down for further course details or for more information on our personal development or family learning courses in Brighton, head to our courses page via the main menu.
COURSE TUTOR: Agnes Munday
DURATION: Half day
WHEN: 2 May
WHERE: Brighton Junction
COURSE FEE: £20 / £15 / FREE
To be offered a free place you need to be:
- 19 or older
- Living in the EEA for at least 3 years
- Living in the Brighton and Hove area
AND be unemployed (or working less than 16 hours) or on a low income (less than £13,500 for a single income or less than £18,000 for a combined household income)
- Or have no qualifications (no Level 2 or above qualification)
- Or you volunteer and are unemployed
Please note that this course cannot be booked online
Please see further information on fees and concessions online or in our brochure.
This course aims to:
Give you the confidence, techniques and skills to deal with emergencies, and manage a range of conditions affecting babies or young children. It will also help you understand how some accidents can be prevented.
Who this course is for?
Parents, grandparents, carers, volunteers working with children, anyone with younger babies or young children in their family.
You might also want to attend the course if you are preparing for working with babies or young children, or if you are involved with local community groups, community nurseries, or children’s sports clubs.
What will I be able to do by the end of this course?
Know what to do in an emergency situation, including when a baby or child:
- Becomes unconscious or stops breathing
- Gets burned
- Is choking
- Bleeding heavily
- Has an asthma attack, or suffers from an anaphylactic shock
- Has signs of meningitis
- Fits with febrile convulsion
- Goes into shock
What materials will I need for the course?
- Pen and pad if you would like to make some notes
- Please dress comfortably for practical parts of the session
- Let the tutor know if you are allergic to rubber or latex
How will I know how I’m doing on the course?
The tutor will explain the aims and outcomes at the beginning of the session and provide opportunities for you to review your learning, and take part in practical demonstrations. There will be lots of opportunities to ask questions and take part in discussions. Your learning will be reviewed at the end of the session.
Are there any other websites or books that can help me?
- There’s also a useful subsidised paediatric first aid booklet available at the end of the course, it costs £2. Please bring the correct money to the course as the tutor does not always carry change.
Can I download any useful apps to my Smartphone or tablet?
Yes, you may find the following apps useful:
- Baby and Child First Aid by British Red Cross
- St John Ambulance First Aid App
Who is the course tutor?
Agnes Munday has been running these very popular courses for several years. The feedback on her sessions is always positive, and people appreciate the energy, enthusiasm, fun and passion she brings to the sessions.
Agnes has a BA Hons in Education, a PGCE in post 16 Education, and a Paediatric First Aid trainer diploma.
Agnes also works in Public Health and has twenty years’ experience of designing and delivering for a wide range of organisations.
What next, after the course?
You can also speak to the Information, Advice and Guidance officer at Friends Centre who can help you with:
- Information on other courses and services
- Impartial guidance to help you make the right choices
- Advice on volunteering and training
- Initial assessment for English and Maths
Thursday 2 May 2019
10:00 am to 1:00 pm
Full price: £20
Concession rate (if available): £15
Please note that concessions are not available online.
Click here for information on fees and concessions.
Book online or more information: Click here for more information or to book online (if available)