The Community Learning team provides short informal courses and advice for people aged 19 years and over living in Brighton & Hove who are not currently in work or those who have less than a Level 2 qualification (GCSE or NVQ level 1). Our courses are free and some even lead to qualifications. Courses include: Food Safety, First Aid for Babies and Children and Confidence Building.
- You must be aged 19 years and over.
- You must also have lived in the UK, European Union or European Economic Area for 3 years as an ordinary resident.
We offer First Aid for Adults and First Aid for Babies & Children courses in schools, children centres and at Brighton Junction. These very popular courses are interactive and confidence-building, with plenty of opportunities to practice techniques and ask questions. Please call 01273 810210 for more information and to book a place.
Are you volunteering for a community group, or receiving benefits and hoping to work in catering? This one day free course will provide you with a Level 2 Certificate in Food & Hygiene. There is a multiple choice assessment at the end of this course.
Priority is given to people currently volunteering.
Are you feeling stressed? Parenting is difficult. It’s not unusual to feel overwhelmed at times about what is by far, the most difficult job of all. This very practical course will offer you new ways to gain the most joy out of being with your child and:
– reduce your stress levels so they don’t get in the way of your family relationships
– handle the tough times at home with a minimum of anger, worry and negative thinking
By the end of the course you will have learnt a range of Mindfulness techniques that have been shown to reduce stress and anxiety. Please call 01273 810210 for more information and to book a place.
Are you a new parent or expecting a baby? Even the best relationships are strained in the early days of parenthood. This course is designed to strengthen the couple relationship to better handle the challenges of a new baby.
You and your partner will learn:
– how to work together as a team and manage conflict
– What to do and where to get support if you think you or your partner are struggling
– How to communicate when you are feeling exhausted
– How the couple relationship can change and how to improve your intimate connection to your partner
Functional Skills courses
We offer Functional Skills English and Maths classes at various schools and Children’s Centres across the city.
The classes are free, friendly and supportive.
If you do not have any English or Maths qualifications and would like to find out more call us on 01273 810210
English and Maths Tasters
Are you thinking about getting an English or Maths qualification?
Are you nervous about studying English or maths again? Do you fancy a taster in English or Maths to brush up your skills before taking on a qualification?
Then this is the course for you!
Please contact us on 01273 810 210.
Information, advice and guidance service (IAG)
Information about IAGs at Children’s Centres
If you are not sure about what course to take next, we can offer you free personal support to help you find the information you need.
We can offer you:
- an individual session to discuss what you are interested in
- information on other courses and services
- impartial guidance to help you make the right choices
- advice on volunteering and training.
You can contact our advice staff via your local Children’s Centre, or call directly:
- 01273 810210 or
- Email: [email protected]